Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dream High: Finale

Talk about a drama full of surprises. When I first started this drama, I had my doubts. Not only did the acting lack, but the first three episodes did not interest me at all. At the end of 16 episodes, however, I have to say that this makes my list of top 5 favorite dramas. We saw growth in our favorite characters, redemption in our enemies, heartbreak when Sam Dong started losing his hearing, and of course all of the fun stuff that made us laugh in the middle: underwear wars, lollipops & love letters, terminator impressions, flower clips, and even a flash a mob! What an awesome drama it was...

What I particularly enjoyed about this drama was that it had adorable romance, but the plot wasn't based on that relationship--it followed the dreams of six students who were trying to make it big on stage. Each character fought a different battle: Hye Mi and her emotionless personality, Sam Dong and his bumpkin-ness as well as hearing, Jin Gook's father issues, Baek Hee's mother issues and feeling overshadowed by Hye Mi, Jason and his lack of ambitiion, and Pil Sook and her physical appearance. Just as much as they fought each other, they also fought together and made their dreams possible with each other.

I also enjoyed the way the drama ended: that the group finally was able to debut together and the quote about that being their happiest moment that would make the rest of their lives shine. But I also liked how each character's dream brought them down a different path. To the question of who ended up being K? Well, who else except Song Sam Dong? But his path to the Grammy's was the bright and exciting path that we might believed a performer has. Hye Mi was left back in Korea and Sam Dong was travelling the U.S. (which if you're alone in a foreign country and can't speak the language, it has to be intimidating).

Since this drama was based on a school for future musicians, it shouldn't surprise anyone that my favorite scenes have to be the performances by the characters. From Episode 5 when we see the misfits and their rendition of "Genie" to the end with Hye Mi singing "Only Hope", the show provided so many opportunities for the cast to demonstrate their musical talent and I'm still walking through the house singing "Dream High!" I love that the music element drove the plot, but it didn't overwhelm nor lack in any way. My applause to all of the cast for all of their effort and talent that made this drama rock in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment