Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lie to Me: Episodes 1 & 2

I'm going to start reviewing episodes in two's because I work during the week and it's getting difficult to review individual episodes when I can only get to them during the weekend. So here is my two cents on Lie to Me, which aired Monday and Tuesday of this past week! I have to say that the drama is very entertaining, though a different feel from 49 Days which has been the only drama I've been following up until this week. While I missed the awesomeness that was 49 Days and was slightly critical of Lie to Me at first, this feeling didn't last long. By the end of Episode 2, I actually found myself craving more of the fun that Yoon Eun Hye and Kang Ji Hwan.

There are some cons to the drama: Yoon Eun Hye doesn't venture too far out of her spastic personality which she is well-known for. On the one hand, this is what has made her so popular in the beginning, but on the other hand, I was hoping that she would bring something new and refreshing to the table. The plot (snowballed lie about Eun Hye's character, Kong Ah Jung, being married) isn't terribly original, so we really depend on the actors to carry the drama. Ji Hwan's character is also very familiar since half of the Korean drama's I've watched have a chaebol as their male lead. So, there's nothing surprising about anything in this drama except how the plot will be executed which will be everything.

So with all of the familiarity, there is still some charm that really got me hooked which includes the bickering between the two main characters (which is cute), the rumor that is flying around (because we all known how that goes), and the conflict between Ah Jung and So Ran (haven't we all been there once in our lives?). I really felt for Ah Jung when she was being humiliated by the girl who she had considered one of her best friends and even though the white lie was wrong, I felt smug watching the frown on So Ran's face at being out-done. And ohmysoul! to the other friend who claimed to have been at their wedding! HAH!

If you look at it as a whole, it doesn't seem like the drama is anything to get excited about, but I have to say that there is still something about it that is entertaining and makes you crave more. Even though there's hardly anything new, it is still a fun watch and a welcomed change from the sadder tones of 49 Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment